- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted or canola oil
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine beaten eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, coffee and vanilla. Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients and fold in with a spatula until just combined. Allow the mixture to set for a few minutes to thicken.
- 2 medium butternut squash – peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups total of wild rice/ brown rice (wild rice is pricey so just brown works fine too)
- 1 package ground Italian turkey sausage
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1-2 chopped bell peppers (any color)
- 1/4 – 1/2 c heavy cream or 1/2 c half n half (optional, and I generally omit)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Season squash with 1T olive oil and salt. Roast until tender on baking sheet for 45 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and puree in blender with 2 c broth.
In a medium saucepan, medium heat, simmer 4 cups broth and 1/2 cup chopped onions. Stir in rice and cook until the rice is fully cooked, 45-55 minutes.
In a large pot, over medium heat, add 1T olive oil. Add sausage and brown 3 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups of onion, corn and bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Saute 3 minutes. Add remaining 6 cups broth and squash puree. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in rice and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cream and reason with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley and serve.